Monday, January 29, 2007

Whoops. F&W Spoils Top Chef

Today, a short comment on delicious irony:
Technology spoiled by technology.

If you're a fan of Bravo's Top Chef - like I am - you've had your winner picked for weeks, maybe months.
(for the record, I choose my top 3 within the first couple shows: Sam, Ilan, and Cliff)
Now that we're down to the final two, speculation is running hot and loud in the blogosphere as to which cool 'do will prevail. Bets have been placed, potential spoilers tossed about, and interesting pick-apart frame by frame discussions on which way Padma is looking in the previews when she congratulates the winner are being had.

It seems wholly ironic that as we watch a television show on cable, possibly on fancy HDTVs with DVRs wirring and all manner of other technological wonders bringing us entertainment, that a dumb mistake on the internet brings the speculation to a screeching halt just two days before the show's finale airs.

Food and Wine magazine messed up bad.
This afternoon, for about 15 minutes, an article appeared on foodandwine.com. Scheduled for print in the March 2007 edition and probably intended for online publication on Feb 1st, it was aptly titled Bravo's New Top Chef Tells All.

And tell all is exactly what it did, as the article by Adam Sachs interviews the winner who won't be "officially" crowned for two more days. Right there, in black and white, the winner's name screamed out to anyone fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time.

Oh man, Food & Wine website people.
You screwed up good. Bravo isn't going to be pleased.

Lucky for me, I saw the article. I've never been a patient sort, so I don't mind knowing who wins...I'm the kind of person who shakes all her Christmas presents trying to figure out what's inside.
I also saved the article once I saw what it was, because I knew F&W would pull it as soon as they figured out what they'd done.

So if you, like me, want to know who wins Top Chef before the show airs,
feel free to view the article via either the messily-formatted HTML file HERE, which will open in your browser,
or the slightly-less-messily -formated PDF file HERE which will open with Adobe Reader.

THESE LINKS OPEN BIGHUGE TOP CHEF SPOILERS!!! Don't blame me if you didn't want to know and you open them anyway, mmkay?


2 comments:

Alannah said...

Thank you for this! I also watch Top chef, but I am too impatient to wait and see.

wheresmymind said...

I just hope that troll Marcelle doesn't win...I was so rooting for SAM! My friend Al quipped here at work that within 5 minutes of watching Marcelle he wanted one of the other chefs to stab him *laugh*